Designated members of staff are:
- Victoria Halliburton (SENCo/DMS)
- Lisa Turley (Assistant SENCo)
- Francis Emeruwa (Deputy DMS Tooting)
- Juliet Bristow (Deputy DMS Westdean)
The Management Committee and staff of Francis Barber fully recognise the responsibilities and duty placed upon them to have arrangements to safeguard and promote the welfare of all pupils at the school. We recognise that all staff, including volunteers, have a full and active part to play in protecting pupils from harm.
We believe that our school should provide a caring, positive, safe and stimulating environment in which pupils can learn and which promotes the social, physical and emotional wellbeing of each individual pupil.
The school recognises its responsibilities and duties to report Child Protection concerns to the social work service within Children’s Specialist Services and to assist Children’s Specialist Services in Child Protection enquiries and in supporting Children in Need.
This policy is in line with the London Child Protection Procedures 2016 (5th edition amended 31st March 2016), Working Together to Safeguard Children 2015 and Keeping Children Safe in Education 2016. View it here (opens in a new tab): Keeping_children_safe_in_education 2016
The school will raise Child Protection concerns with parents / carers at the earliest appropriate opportunity, and work in partnership with them and other agencies to improve outcomes.
The school will ensure that all staff are provided with the appropriate training in Child Protection issues, as recommended in the guidance. In particular designated members of staff will be released to attend the necessary enhanced training courses to enable them to carry out their role effectively.
All staff are required to read this policy carefully and to be aware of their role in these processes. All new staff will have the opportunity to discuss safeguarding requirements and this policy during their induction process.
- To raise awareness of all school staff of the need to safeguard all children and of their responsibilities in identifying and reporting possible cases of abuse
- To emphasise the need for good communication between all members of staff in matters relating to child protection
- To develop a structured procedure within the school which will be followed by all members of the school community in cases of suspected abuse
- To provide a systematic means of monitoring pupils known or thought to be at risk of significant harm
- To work openly and in partnership with parents in relation to child protection concern
- To support all pupils’ development in ways that will foster security, confidence and independence
- To promote safe practice and challenge poor and unsafe practice
- To further develop and promote effective working relationships with other agencies involved with safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children
- To ensure that all adults working within our school have been checked as to their suitability to work with children, in line with current guidance
- To integrate opportunities into the curriculum for children to develop the skills they need to recognise and stay safe from abuse, allowing for continuity and progression through the key stages
- To take account of and inform policy in related areas, such as anti-bullying; e-safety; discipline and behaviour; health and safety; missing children; child sexual exploitation; FGM; positive handling and physical intervention procedures; procedures for dealing with allegations against staff and recruitment practice
Please click here to download: Safeguarding Policy 2017 -18 final
Please click here to download: Keeping pupils safe at Francis Barber 2017 (Word document 18kb)
- Key Principles
- Early Intervention and Help
- Children with SEN
- Looked after Children
- Mental Health and Behaviour
- Communication with parents / carers
- Support for staff
- Allegations against staff
- Safe Recruitment
- Governing Body responsibilities
- Positive Handling / Physical intervention
- Specific safeguarding issues
- Other related policies
- Appendix 1 (guidance documents)
- Appendix 2 (model school report )
- Appendix 3 recognising abuse guidance
- Appendix 4 basic protocol for staff
- Appendix 5 useful contact numbers