As a Pupil Referral Unit we work within the Wandsworth guidance on Provision for children with SEN in schools which explains the ways pupils with different additional needs are provided for within the school. We also follow our ‘Equality and Disability’ policy.
Francis Barber PRU is part of the Inclusion service. We work with secondary-aged pupils who experience difficulties accessing schooling. This means that the young people may have:
- Been unable to get a school place
- Been permanently excluded
- Refused to go to school
- Put themselves at risk of exclusion
Young people are referred to Francis Barber through the following services:
- Pupil Services
- Education Welfare
- Secondary Schools
- Children Looked After Team
- Special Needs Department
Francis Barber is an inclusive school with a strong commitment to supporting the young people to achieve the best possible outcomes regardless of their special educational needs. All young people are offered a provision that is best suited to their particular needs and are offered inclusive teaching which will enable them to make the best possible progress in school and feel that they are a valued member of the wider school community.
Francis Barber aims to be a place where pupils can:
- Develop their potential in a safe and supportive environment
- Make good progress with their learning
- Work towards returning to school or prepare for college, employment or training.